- what is your PHP (or similar) background?
- explain how you use templating systems like Django’s DTL/mustache/Twig/Smarty/StringTemplate or similar. Or YAML?
- explain your experience with ORMs (like ActiveRecord (Rails), Hibernate (Java), Doctrine (PHP), Django (Python)).
- what do you hate about PHP? what makes PHP better than using another language?
- what are some of the benefits of using a Framework over basic PHP?
- what is $this used for?
- how would you migrate content from MySQL to a CMS?
WORKFLOW & PROCESS
- knowledge or experience with git or svn? explain how you use it. Use GitHub?
- how have you worked remotely and share code? FTP? SVN? SSH? VPN? Have you done any merging yourself?
- what is your documentation process?
- explain the Agile development process.
- given a photoshop file and business requirements document, what is the process for developing the template in html?
- how do you give time estimates for front-end work?
- give an example of some shortcuts you may have taken to get work completed to deadline?
- what HTML5 and CSS3 features have you used?
- how would you like to organize a fully static html site? folder names, etc.
- how do you support older browsers?
- what is the difference between position: absolute and position: fixed?
- what are some considerations when creating mobile-capable websites?
- what is your standard list for improving front-end performance or optimizing load speed?
- debugging example: if the drop down navigation is broken, how do you go about finding the problem?
- what’s your experience in working within a team?
- would you be comfortable with handing over and managing tasks with other engineers?
- what jQuery plugins have you used? what is your experience with using them?
- code tests
- setTimeout and setInterval differences?
- what’s the difference between null and undefined?
- what’s the difference between == and ===?
- how do you add a node to the body w/o using a library like jQuery?